Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Not all sugar free is sugar free

Along with trying to follow a healthy diet, I have to watch my blood sugar too. I found out that I was an insulin dependent diabetic back in the beginning of March 2015. I've done pretty well dealing with Diabetes. I wasn't much of a pasta, rice, and starch food kind of person in the first place.

Why give up chocolate when there are alternatives to high blood sugar. Walgreens is a company that has blessed customers with a variety of choices. Today I picked dark Hershey bars and peppermint patties. I had a great time eating them until I looked at the back of the package.

The sugar free candies at the store may say sugar free. They are hell on your blood sugar when it comes to counting carbohydrates. Three pieces of the peppermint patty sugar free candies were a total of 16 grams of carbohydrates. That's a serving of carbohydrates. I only plan on eating three servings a day.

I hate to say it but the price that a person pays for carbohydrates and dollars with sugar free candy is just not worth it. I'd rather get the grams of carbohydrates in my diet from things like bananas, apples, bake potatoes, and buttered squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment